Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Taste of What is to Come

        The Lord has heard my cry and has given just a glimpse, just a small taste, of what is to come. He works in mysterious ways!
       Weeks ago, before any of this had happened, I had agreed to share a testimony/devotion in my FYE class (Freshman Year Experience). Last week, I became too nervous and backed out. But at the very last minute (meaning, the 10 minutes prior to class yesterday morning) God changed my heart. I was able to share in front of the class what God was doing in my life, the attacks of Satan, and how I trust that this is all a part of a bigger picture that I just can't see right now. Afterwards, I felt encouraged...it felt like a small step in the healing process, and I went to visit my nurse and talk with her for awhile (I consider her to be my campus mommy) so I was feeling rather "good" for the remaining part of the day.
        Then, the roommate left, the suitemates fell asleep, and I was alone. Satan again began speaking lies into my ears, and it was too much to bear. I picked up my Bible and read Psalm after Psalm after Psalm...I recommitted my life...I prayed that God would use my experience to draw others closer to Him. I said Amen, and checked my phone...a girl from my FYE class had texted me, saying she couldn't sleep, she felt too overwhelmed, and wanted to let me know that she could identify with the pain I was experiencing. Long story short, it was past midnight, but I felt the Holy Spirit urge me to invite her to come over to my dorm. She walked across campus through the pouring, cold, rain with her Bible she received on move-in day here on campus. Her face was weary, her eyes told of a pain that I understood all too well.
      I have hardly spoken to this girl, she's one of our volleyball players from Puerto Rico, but I suppose she saw something in me...she saw me as someone who would listen as she poured out her heart as we sat on my fuzzy, green rug as the thunder rolled outside. I listened to her as she told me of all her sleepless nights here at college, how she will run the perimeter of the campus at 3am to try to escape the pain in her heart, and how she just doesn't understand how we, sinful humans, can have a relationship with Jesus Christ.
        For two hours, we sat on my floor and searched the Bible for answers, for verses, for clarity. She was so eager to learn how to find scripture in the Bible, and told me that the Bible that Anderson gave us has become so dear to her. She was anxious to highlight and mark any verses I told her of, but told me she was dumbfounded that it could be so clear in the Bible, but that everyone seemed to have a different perspective back at her Puerto Rican Catholic church.
      I couldn't help but be amazed that how just the hour before, I was begging the Lord to give me direction, to let my story bring others to Him, that something good would come out of this painful mess.  The Lord is already answering my prayers...as I prayed over a dear girl with an aching heart at 2 a.m. I couldn't help but become overwhelmed that me being able to witness to this international student here on campus (whom I've never even had a friendship with) was just a minuscule taste of what God is preparing me to do. It was as if God heard my cries, and decided that He would let me glimpse into the future for just a brief moment. He allowed me to see for a moment that He can turn sorrow into joy...and use it to advance His kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment