Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Life Worth Living

I want to run where the streets have no name
I want to stargaze in the field, filled with wonder
I want to taste the curry on my tongue
I want to hold those little children
And whisper in their ear how very loved they are
I will drink the chai and tell of a hero who died
But rose again, victoriously
While I sit on the hut's dirt floor, smelling the spices
Wrapping myself in a sari, I'll embrace their culture
My white skin will be known throughout villages
But I pray that my Jesus will be seen
Singing lullabies as dusk approaches
To little ones far too used to nights of empty tummies
Never knowing a mother's embrace
As I hike the Himalayas, I desire to be the feet of Christ
Discovering the beauty of creation
Riding atop elephants on mountainous terrain
I will bathe in muddy water, as dirty as my sins
I am going to give myself away serving my savior in the land of South Asia*
Far, far away
With greater things to come


I wrote this freeverse as I was riding in the truck with a group of friends headed down to Florida for spring break. (Thank the Lord for friendships that would rather relax on the warm sand instead of erasing dignity one bottle at a time). As we drove, I'd look out the window and my eyes would meet pairs of desperate eyes of other springbreakers, anxiously waiting a few more hours to drink pain&memories away, hoping to gain the needed affirmation. It broke my heart. I knew the desperation to forget, to erase, to numb it all, but I knew of a source far better. Suddenly, a week at the beach with friends from college (even if we were sober) couldn't compare to my longing to be in that village, 10,000 miles away. So, I whipped out my iPad and typed what my heart desires more than anything. And it's just 48 days away. THIS is a life worth living. GOD IS SO GOOD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment