Thursday, November 22, 2012

Rich in Blessings- What a Thanksgiving


This Thanksgiving I thank God for His consistent provision and promises in my life. The Lord gives and takes away, but blessed be His name! I am beginning to learn what Paul meant in Philippians 4 when he writes to the church in Philippi about learning to be content in all things. Here was this man, chained, locked up, and heavens to betsy- he had never even married (okay, that's just a personal side note, but still) and he was being imprisoned for following Christ's commands of spreading His word to the ends of the earth. Paul was stoned, starved, beaten, shipwrecked, etc. and he was still able to honestly proclaim that he was content in his circumstances. Surely, I can learn to be thankful in my trials.
I awoke and after thinking for a while, I felt so blessed this morning. Yet, I had to actively make that choice. I initially awoke from another disagreeable dream (this dream occurs nearly every night over and over, I see him, I walk up and give a loving hug and he shoves me away, turns his back- and begins to walk down a long road, hands in his pocket, shoulders slouched. I'll follow, and he continues pushing me away- without ever looking at my face) But this morning, I chose to be joyful...it is a day to celebrate all the blessings in my life! And holy cow, I really do have a lot.
Here are just a couple of recent blessings:
        -I am now Aunt Kate!!! I think my heart may burst in happiness and joy!..My first niece, Felicity Joy, was born this month and how perfect her name fits her (Felicity means happiness in latin). She is such a blessing from God...I have spent every day this thanksgiving break holding her, cuddling her, changing diapers and just studying this precious little face that makes me forget any sorrow. Aunthood is incredible already.
          -Another blessing from God... last year I went on a mission trip to Belize. I completely fell in love with the country, the culture, and its' people...ever since, I have prayed for a way to go back. Well, in exactly three weeks I will be boarding a plane to go back to this country that stole my heart! God is so good...
         -My family who is so supportive of me, loving me every day as I go through this. My friends, who have cried with me, laughed with me, prayed with me, encouraged me, distracted me etc. And an uplifting university...the campus is filled with the Holy Spirit and as I walk to class each day, I can see Christ's love just shining through so many of faces that either attend or work here.
                                                I am rich in the blessings of the Lord! 
                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment